Utah Move-Van Breaks Down

So, as I stated in a previous blog entry, our trip to Utah for the 4th of July started out pretty rough!! We were about 40 miles past Kanab when an odd sound started coming from under the hood. Imagine my surprise since I was the one driving!! Anyways, I pulled over, yanked the kids out of the car since we couldn't really get off the highway and sent them over to the other side of the highway where they could sit on the side of the mountain. Anyone who has been on this highway knows that it is very narrow and of course, we had to break down on a hill right before a curve in the road. At the time, I have to admit, I was very nervous and freaked out but couldn't let the kids in on that. So, we convinced them that this was all part of the adventure of moving to Utah. Kids are pretty gullible! We had cell phone signal so were able to call a tow truck who then towed us back to Kanab. We stayed the night, they fixed our van the next morning and then we were on our way. Hooray!! The kids were in good spirits when this whole thing started. I had them sit on their pillows so at least they were somewhat comfortable. We sat in the sun for about an hour then decided that it was time to find some shade. We hiked up the road a little bit to a grove of trees and camped there for awhile. We were even able to make a little restroom for the kids, you know, 2 1/2 hours on the side of the road downing bottled water isn't the ideal situation for itty bitty bladders!
Brittany and Emma kept entertained by building little forts and teepee's out of twigs and leaves and fallen branches. Emma was so proud of her little house that she insisted we take pictures of it.
By the end of our wait for the tow truck Tristan had had enough!! We were all tired, hot, hungry and just plain sick of sitting on the side of the highway. I do have to say that we had absolutely no whining or crying and I am so proud of the kids for hanging in there with us while we embark on this wonderful journey!


No comments: